Monday, August 3, 2009

Music pt. 1

Well, I'm back again. Nothing really exciting happening right now, so I thought I'd talk about music. That's reasonable, right?

So, as I announced in my earlier post, I am going to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. That's a huge deal. Rock music could become my life if I do well as a musician.

Rock music is complicated. There are so many styles and influences. For you that pretend to care, I'm going to list some of my favorite music artists and songs.

I'm gonna list styles of music, and list bands that I like from those genres. I will also give a little information about them, including a little history and why I like them. By the artist's name, in parentheses, I will list what I like about them, either the vocals(v), the guitar work(g), something other than those(o(for other)), or any combination of those. I will also list some recommended songs by the artist. Also, I will list any other notable artists that I didn't have room for. Catch all that? Well then, in the immortal words of James Hetfield, HERE WE GOOOO!!!

Disclaimer: The following are the views of the author. They are not in any way a definitive list. So if your favorite band or song is not here, too f***ing bad! Don't start bitching about it.


Classic Rock
Bob Dylan(v,o)
While not really a rock artist in the traditional sense of the word, Bobby Dylan(born on May 24, 1941 as Robert Allen Zimmerman(I see why he changed his name)) is one of the early influences of rock music. He is a folk singer and in April of this year, he released his 33rd album, Together Through Life. That's pretty amazing! He sings, plays guitar and harmonica(between you and me, I'm a sucker for a good harmonica solo).
Recommended Listening:
Like a Rolling Stone
All Along the Watchtower(for the record, I like this version over the Hendrix version. Sorry.)
The Rolling Stones(v,g)
More than any other band, The Rolling Stones are the embodiment of classic rock. Behind the one-of-a-kind vocals of Mick Jagger and the amazing guitar rhythms of Keith Richards, the British band are rightfully one of the most successful bands of all time. Rolling Stone(not named after the band) magazine ranked them as the 4th greatest musical artist out of 100. Contrary to popular belief, they are not 300 years old. The oldest current member is Charlie Watts, the drummer, who is 68. They still are active and act like they're still twenty. For the record, they will live forever.
Recommended Listening:
Start Me Up
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Sympathy for the Devil
The Who(v,g)
The British are rocking, the British are rocking!!! The Who were another one of a group influential rock bands based in England. Members include founder and vocalist Roger Daltrey, the spry guitarist Peter Townshend, the relatively calm bassist John Entwistle, and the slightly crazy drummer Keith Moon. They had many American top ten singles and top five albums. They were known for their youthful rebellious nature and their energetic stage presence. Single handedly, the band popularized many famous rock gestures, including power sliding, windmill strumming, and smashing one's instrument at the end of a performance. Sadly, in 1978 at age 32, drummer Keith Moon died of a combination of drug overdosing and alcohol poisoning. The band is still active, but is now a duet(Entwistle died in 2002).
Recommended Listening:
Baba O'Reily(sometimes known as Teenage Wasteland)
Pinball Wizard
Who Are You
Won't Get Fooled Again
Queen(v,g)
Possibly one of the oddest bands ever, Queen is no doubt one of the best. With inimitable vocals of Freddie Mercury and zeppelinesque riffs of Brian May, Queen is unmatched in creativity and style. They have proved they can master and perfect any genre of music thrown at them and have shown time and time again that rock does not need to be about sex and drugs to be good music. Prog-rock style lyrics and carefully orchestrated instruments can make amazing music. In the mid-70's, Mercury came out and admitted his homosexuality. He met Jim Hutton, who stayed with him until his death from AIDS in 1986. The band is no longer active, but it's legacy lives on.
Recommended Listening:
Stone Cold Crazy
Killer Queen
Fat Bottomed Girls
Don't Stop Me Now
I Want It All
(Yes, I know it's in a best buy commercial, but just listen to it. Guitar fans, it will blow your mind with awesomeness)
Boston(V,g)
Another band with amazing vocals, Boston has made some of the most amazing classic rock ever. Based around songwriter, keyboardist, and guitarist Tom Scholz and vocalist/guitarist Brad Delp, the band also used many prog-rock style lyrics. But what they are truely known for are Brad Delp's vocals. Seriously, he can wail. Unfourtunatly, it was not to last. In 1983, recording studio CBS sued Boston for 60 million dollars for not completing their third album on time. This coupled with Delp's repeated departures and returns slowed down the progress on Boston's third and fourth albums. The band never really got back its former glory. Too bad, they were awesome.
Recommended Listening:
Foreplay/Long Time
Piece of Mind
Don't Look Back
More Than A Feeling
Eric Clapton(g)
Hey, I have the same name as him! Clapton is my favorite guitarist. This little spot tells of his different bands. He has been in at least five different bands. Some of his work is with Cream, Derek and the Dominos, and by himself. A blues purist, he has made some amazing music. Here's a little sample.
Recommended Listening:
Cocaine (by Eric Clapton)
Crossroads (by Cream)
Layla (by Derek and The Dominos)
White Room (by Cream)
Led Zeppelin(v,g,o)
Come on, I was gonna get here sooner or later! Pronounced by many to be the greatest band ever, Led Zeppelin is the be all and end all of rock music. Members of one of the godliest bands ever includes vocalist Robert Plant, guitarist Jimmy Page, drummer John Bonham, and bassist John Paul Jones. While I'm classifying them as classic rock, many consider Led Zeppelin the first true heavy metal band. One curious thing is that The Led didn't believe in releasing singles and only released albums. They have tackled and conquered many forms of music. Unfortunately, in 1980, tragedy struck when drummer John Bonham died of pulmonary edema due to over drinking. In English, that means that he drank too much vodka and inhaled and suffocated on vomit(bad things keep happening to these guys, don't they?). Led Zeppelin is notorious for not letting anybody use their songs. So don't hold your breath for Guitar Hero: Led Zeppelin. :(
Recommended Listening:
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
Heartbreaker
Whole Lotta Love
and,*sigh* Stairway to Heaven.(personally not my favorite, but its one of their best songs)
Other Notable Artists:
Foreigner
Iggy Pop
Foghat
The Eagles
The Beatles(not really a big fan, but it is the biggest band in the world)
The Doobie Brothers
David Bowie
Kansas
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Thin Lizzy
Hard Rock/Heavy Metal
Aerosmith(v,g,o)
I have a weird relationship with Aerosmith. On one hand, it's been my favorite band since I was in 4th grade and was the first artist I seriously listened to. But ever since Guitar Hero: Aerosmith, a lot of people have giving them flack for selling out, etc(it was also considered one of the worst guitar heros, so that could be the reason... I don't know, I liked it...). But I'm getting ahead of myself. Aerosmith is America's second best-selling group(behind The Eagles) and is America's best-selling hard rock band. Steven Tyler's vocals and Joe Perry's guitar soloing are really what sells their act. They are one of those bands that are hard to cover and make it sound good. They are also the first band to have a music game based entirely around them, Guitar Hero: Aerosmith(mentioned earlier). They are like the Rolling Stones, the perfect example of their genre. They may be old, but they could still kick your ass.
Recommended Listening:
Walk This Way
Dream On
Last Child
Back in the Saddle
Dude(Looks Like a Lady)
AC/DC(g,o)
For those about to rock, I give you AC/DC!!! The Aussie-based band is another one of the elites of rock. Their first two albums were generally well received, but then vocalist Bon Scott died of over consumption of alcohol. The band decided to carry on with new vocalist Brian Johnson, citing the Scott would have wanted that. The band then went on to release one of the most successful albums of all time, Back In Black. Their next album, For Those About to Rock We Salute You, was almost equally well recieved and was their first number one album stateside. Their sheer energy on stage is inspiring. LET THERE BE ROCK!!!!!!
Recommended Listening:
Pre-Brian Johnson:
T.N.T
It's A Long Way To The Top(If You Wanna Rock n'Roll)
Highway To Hell
Post-Brian Johnson:
Shoot to Thrill
What Do You Do For Money Honey
Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution
Metallica(v,g,o)
By the way, that James Hetfield thing I said eariler is a lyric from the Metallica song Whiplash.
Just like Aerosmith with hard rock and The Rolling Stones with classic rock, Metallica created and embodies the genre of thrash metal. Inspired by Aerosmith(you can really hear that if you listen to Dream On and Last Child by Aerosmith, then listen to No Leaf Clover by Metallica), it originally consisted of James Hetfield on vocals and rythym guitar, Lars Ulrich on drums, Cliff Burton on bass, and Dave Mustaine on lead guitar. But Mustaine, who would go on to found the band Megadeath, was kicked out for alcohol abuse and violent behavior. He was replaced by Kirk Hammett. This lineup released three albums(the first one, Kill 'Em All, was originally supposed to be called Metal Up Your Ass(!?)) until Cliff Burton was tragically crushed under a Damage, Inc. tour bus. Ouch! Like AC/DC with Bon Scott, Metallica said the Cliff would have wanted them to go on, and found bassist Jason Newstead. He stayed on board for five albums, including ...And Justice For All, Metallica, and Load. Then Newstead quit and was replaced by Robert Trujillo. Musically, I believe Metallica is the most diverse of the thrash metal bands and, therfore, more accessible than others. They are the second band to have a music game based around them(Guitar Hero: Metallica). On the opposite of the game spectrum, GH:M is considered one of the best Guitar Heros(opposed to GH:A).Also, when you see James Hetfield now, he looks like he could kick your ass. He could, but at heart, he's really a big softie(!?!?!!?)
Recommended Listening:
The Unforgiven
Master of Puppets
Whiplash
Nothing Else Matters
One
That's all I can do right now. I'm running out of time and space. I'll continue later. See ya!!!

1 comment:

  1. hey eric! didnt know you had a blog! and when are you comming back from your trip? we're trying to get the band times together, but it would help if you gave me your email, so i can invite you to a group on the redhouse site that jeff made, so when we update things such as times it notifies everyone.

    ReplyDelete